Monday, February 1, 2010

Snowy Days are for the Birds!

Meet Monsieur Starling, imported to America from Europe, I believe.
He was happy to pose for me yesterday as I waited in the car for Bill to run into Walmart. I sat there, camera ready, hoping for sparrows. Not being a shy guy, Mr. Starling decided to let me photograph him first. It's easy to understand why he's so proud, what with those colorful feathers gleeming in the sunlight, and markings like reversed ermine, fit for a king.
Bill and I were on the hunt for empty bird's nests, which I will be using in a notecard series, available later this week. We got some beautiful material.
The photo above was taken by my husband.
He had to climb a mountain of snow which had been piled around this little parking lot tree. I watched as he teetered precariously on the dirty wet stuff to get this photograph just for me.
I wanted to get as many nests as possible from the inside...that is until we found this one.
It was close to the road, so we pulled into a loading dock area for easy acceess, which turned out not to be easy at all, thanks to a 10 foot wall. But my husband trapsed up a hill and down the street to get this image. He came back triumphant, the hunter with his game.

Upon closer inspection, however, we realized that this nest appears to be full of bones. We tried to convince ourselves that that was just leaves and debris frosted frosted in snow, but no. When I enlarged the picture on my computer this morning, it does look like a cluster of dry white bones.

Needless to say, this particular nest won't be going in my Empty Nest Cards. I know it looks cool, but we empty nesters need happy images of empty nests. Images that remind us that empty nests are truely a thing of beauty, full of opportunities for the future.

Did you know that birds often reuse their nests?
Sometimes twice in a season. And they may come back again, year after year. Little birdie mommies and daddys passing their home along to their offspring. And so it may go until the nest wears out. (That is why I don't collect nests, save for the one that comes out of a little shoe box to adorn my Christmas tree every year.) 

So, the empty nest is not a thing to be mourned, but is actually the harbinger of a happy future. A future which may even include grandchildren. Grandchildren who go home after the spoiling is done one day, and return another day for more of the same.
Unfinished knitting, mayhaps?
One more nest to share before I go, my friend. I especially loved this sturdy little nest. This couple found a bit of string to use in their home, but I have a second theory. The knitting was abandoned when the eggs hatched a little earlier than expected.

Well, that's it, folks. Yesterday's adventure. The best thing about it wasn't the lovely photos of bird's nests. It was the fun time Bill and I had together, just driving around, looking for them.

Have a good day. And keep your eyes open. Remember, you pass by things every day that are sitting there, waiting for someone to notice them. 

Delight in life's little details. It's good for the spirit.

2 comments:

Patti B said...

Hooray for birds and nests and snow. Thanks! These photos are beautiful :)

Deborah Klein said...

Thanks, Patti! We had so much fun taking these photos, I'm sure there will be more to come!