Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The First Day of Motherhood



August 14, 2012 - Fourty-three years ago, my unborn child was in the head down position with feet planted firmly beneath my ribs. I'd been watching those tiny feet travel across my belly for two months or so, and by now my ribs ached mightily. I confess, I was a good bit fearful, not knowing what to expect from childbirth or motherhood. But I was mostly excited to get that baby out of me, hold it in my arms and watch it's life unfold like a flower before my eyes. I had begun to have cramps, and we knew it wouldn't be long before I would meet this little person for the very first time.

This is Kathleene. My little girl.

August 15, 2012 - After 23 hours of labor, the baby was born. Doctor Webb, my best friend's father, delivered her. He was excited. His eyes sparkled as he held her up, naked and freshy, her face squeezed tightly between his fingers. Yes, it was a little girl. Still groggy from the anesthesia, I opened my eyes to see that tiny red face in Doctor Webb's hands, mouth wide open, screaming with anger over being taken from her warm, comfy hiding place. The hospital lighting glowed all about her like a halo, making her look angelic in spite of the screaming.

I would tell you I fell in love with her right then and there, but I was already in love with her from the moment I realized she was inside of me. This very day, fourty-three years ago, was the beginning of a lifetime of adventure for both of us; it was my first day of Motherhood.

Happy Birthday, my darling Kathleene. You are a treasure and a joy!

Mama

No comments: