Friday, September 4, 2009

Rose Rustlin' Update!

Pictured above, my mystery rose (she may be a wild Carolina Rose) which I grew from a cutting years ago. She got shuffled into a shady corner until last fall. She had her first bloom this spring.

You should see my mossy red-leaved foundling today (I blogged about her last week), happily planted outside the garden gate just in case she grows to be a big mamma-jama rose. Let me tell ya', she is one lucky girl. I was concerned about the weather being too hot for transplanting, since it is usually hotter than the dickins (whatever that is) here in NC this time of year. But this week has been marvelously cool. A fall week already. If I didn't know better, I'd think God had brought this weather just for her benefit. But she's only a rose...

So yesterday I went down to check on her (I'm thinking of her more as a pet than a plant...maybe a sick substitute for losing poor Charlie a couple of weeks ago...). She is growing already, her beautiful red leaves opening up as she stretches upwards toward the sun.

"Yep, doctor," said the rose rustler in his thick Southern accent to the...to the plant doctor. "Looks like she's gonna make it!"

I'm feelin' right happy about that.

No comments: