Thursday, August 20, 2009

Billy's Submarine

My husband Bill has some mighty fine stories to tell. Being a construction engineer, he was born with an amazing obsession for figuring out not only how to make things, but how to make things work. Then he would attempt to make them for himself and his faithful following of fortunate friends. Growing up in Miami Beach in the 1950's and 60's, little boys like Bill had a never ending supply of construction trash and 365 days of good weather (except for the occasional hurricane, of course). Good weather which provided year 'round opportunities for making stuff and then getting into trouble for doing so.

Forward to 2008:

About this time last year, I decided to create some new additions to my paper doll series. Not that I my paper dolls were actually to the "series" point at that stage; I had made two 17" paper dolls and originally desired to create paper dolls as "portraits". (I'm still working on that.) But I'm always up to the "newest" challenge, so I decided to go beyond the paper doll idea to a more complex project. "Billy's Submarine" is the first of the two projects I finished last October.

Now, I don't suppose everyone would call "Billy's Submarine" a paper doll. Though it is made of paper, it isn't exactly a doll. But in the spirit of paper dolls, it's windows can be filled with six interchangable faces, it has two flags to fly, two different fish for the hook, and three types of "feet". But the grand finale is the reversible and all ferocious octopus which can cling to the sides of the submarine, or to the ladder; or he can "float" alongside Billy's sub. Everything can be changed around, added and removed.

Very paper-doll-esque, if you ask me.

This piece was obviously inspired by one of our family's favorite crazy amazing stories oft told by my man, Bill. He and I aren't finished with this story yet, but I just couldn't wait any longer to present "Billy's Submarine" to you.

Deber

No comments: