Friday, August 28, 2009

What? Me Worry?...I've Got Angels!

Are you a worrier? I'm a worrier. Not that I'd admit to it in mixed company, i.e., people who are "religious". After all, everybody knows that people who are "religious" don't worry. So there. I am "religious". (Actually, I'm not. I'm just a believer.) Because I'm a believer, I know that God is in control. There is nothing I can't handle when I have the Creator of the Universe on my team. I believe all of this to be true.

But the way I really feel about it (as is evident by the fact that I worry so well, though I don't discuss it in mixed company or even like to admit it to myself), is this; why should knowing all that stop me from worrying? Yes, God is mighty and all powerful, good, faithful and loving. If he can create a person from the wind and dust, then he is obviously able to do whatever is necessary, abundant and far beyond anything I could ever do, even with my most fervent and dedicated worrying.

But, lately I have to face it. The world appears to be falling off the edge of the universe. Now intellectually, I know that God can fix that. He can take his first finger and his thumb, and ever-so-gently grab his beautiful planet earth with all of his creation, and set it back in place where it belongs. Right between Venus and Mars. (But then again, I am aware that maybe God wants to let the world splash right into a deep and unknown cosmic ocean. And...I don't know..I just have a problem with that.)

I'm kidding you...a little bit. But not really. Though I try to accept God's will, it isn't always easy. God has a master plan, and if I am to be truely honest with you and with me, his plan doesn't always fit into what I fancy to be my own plan. (In particular, that unknown cosmic ocean plan I mentioned in the paragraph above.)

If God were to come knocking at my door like he did Abraham's, and if he asked me, "Deborah, what do you think? Mars and Venus or Cosmic Ocean? I'll let you pick." I'd say without hesitation, "Well, thanks for asking, Lord. I much prefer the Mars and Venus option. So, that's my pick."

But God isn't knocking on my front door asking me what I want. He does, however, knock "at the door of my heart". And he does listen to my prayers. And I don't even have to tell him the desires of my heart, because he already knows them. Besides, who am I, a mere spot, to argue with Almighty God? (Well, I could. Jonah did, and God was patient with him. So I know he's patient with me...)

There's one cool thing that you and I do have on Abraham: We have the book of Psalms.

Psalm 37, for example, is loaded with comfort and strength. The 40th verse says, "The Lord helps them and rescues them...because they take refuge in Him." And Psalm 91. Oh my gosh! Oh, My God, actually! I want to put the whole thing down here for you. But I'd rather you look it up for yourself. Basically, it says that if we put our trust in God, he will shelter us under his wings. He will command his angels concerning us to guard us in all our ways...lest we dash our foot against a stone.  He will answer our prayers (including those for the people you and I love) and with long life he will satisfy us.

So today, instead of worrying, I'm going to trust. Like Jesus said, worry won't add one second to my life. In the vastness of eternity, our time in this world, my friend, is temporary. There is nothing we can do about it. The greatest amount of time we have to live is actually the time after this life. In that perfect place, we will understand the things we do not now understand. So let's just put our trust in God. Then even if God has plans (like Revelations says) to basically let the world fall into that swirling cosmic ocean, he will gently lift us, you and me, and our precious loved ones up out of it all, and put us in a safe and good place.

That's because God is good. He's really nice, slow to anger, quick to forgive. He is strong and powerful, just and merciful, wise, pure, sweet and wonderful. And so much more.

But my favorite thing of all is this: God is love.

Selah. (And that means, "think about that".)

No comments: